Wednesday, November 23

More than you knew about strawberries at the beginning of this post

What do you know about strawberries?

   Me?  Not much; I'm just an average Joe or Jill, you say.  Well, that's okay because that is about to change!  (Okay, honestly, maybe you'll hear an interesting new fact, but I'm not really going to go into an in-depth analysis of strawberries... Okay, history no, analysis...  maybe.)  

Here are some fun facts about strawberries:

  • Over 53% of seven to nine year olds picked strawberries as their favorite fruit
  • Strawberries are the first fruit to ripen in the spring.
  • There is a museum in Belgium just for strawberries
I thought this next one was kind of lovely:
  • Strawberries are a member of the rose family!
As this came from an extension of the University of Illinois, I was pretty sure the facts were free of bias (hm...) until I came to this one: 
  • Although strawberries are available in many forms--frozen, jam and jelly, and ice cream--nothing compares to the taste of a fresh vine ripened strawberry.
But who are we kidding?  As my writing teacher recently said, EVERYTHING is written on a bias, and as my wise sister told me this morning, it's impossible not to make assumptions.  Everything builds from assumptions (or something to that effect).  Impartiality?  Let us admit we are starting from assumptions, whether they be good or bad, whether they seem factual or not.  This person believes fresh strawberries are better than any other kind of strawberry, and they happen to be right. 

  
A Double Strawberry
     At our old house back on Cherry [Street], we had strawberry plants lining the side of our cement driveway.  I have one memory of running out of the kitchen, crossing the stony driveway, barefoot, and picking from the strawberry plants to put in my bowl of milk frosted flakes.  I have a feeling paradise will involve strawberry plants easily accessible during early morning breakfast hours.        

    My trusty website continues: "Legend has it that if you break a double strawberry in half and share it with a member of the opposite sex, you will fall in love with each other." 

   So, be careful whom you share a double strawberry with.  If you're not ready for the emotional connection that comes of eating the same tiny red fruit, I wouldn't suggest it.  It could lead to much heartbreak.  

  I suppose that's the end of my blogging about strawberries.  On another note, I once translated "The Call" by Regina Spektor (from the "Prince Caspian" soundtrack) for my high school American Sign Language class and performed it.  The song is pretty great.  

   Have a wonderful Thanksgiving.  Be grateful for strawberries, if you enjoy them.  What a blessing they, and many other delightful and breath-taking things, are.  

No comments: