Saturday, May 19

M. Flower Farm

The M. Flower Farm is out behind a brown house set back from the street.  The brown house has a veranda and is surrounded by carefully cared-for plants.  A dirt driveway extends from the road, behind the house, and back to the road, dividing the house from a barn full of pots and planting supplies.

During my slightly successful run (which I call slightly successful because it was interrupted by a 7-minute walk and a visit to a flower shop), I passed by the M. Flower Farm.  I was following a long road stretching past my sister and brother-in-law's house until my fifteen minutes were up, and then heading back along the same road.

The M. Flower Farm was intriguing.  Early this Saturday morning, there were a couple of cars parked along the side of the circular driveway and a sign indicating the entrance.  I try to make a point of following healthy inclinations, spiritual or otherwise, and this morning I was feeling like going to find out more about this flower farm was what I should do.

There were rows and rows of plants and flowers in hanging planters.  There was a stack of colored buckets, all with white polka dots on them, and a greenhouse covered in a white tarp out behind the barn.

I think the owner of this flower farm, who has grown kids who live in Colorado, loves her job.  I wonder if it's hard to sell flowers; I wonder how much business she gets.  But she lives in a charming brown farmhouse and tends to flowers.  She says that you can't play all the time, and that's why she can't only design her own flower pots.  I think she loves the putting together of flower pot and flower, the final, beautiful product.


My sister S. said that when she moved in with her roommates out in California, into a beautiful house with a gigantic palm tree in the front yard, she decided she wanted to surround herself with beautiful things.  She and her roommates did a good job.  Their little brown house had white walls inside and a white carpet and a living room with a window that revealed the flowers in the garden (you can see a picture of that window above).  They thought that if people surrounded themselves with beautiful and good things, they would want to be beautiful and good themselves; they would want to make choices that would make them better, more loving and caring, people.

featuring my lovely mother, sister S.'s former front yard

I wonder if the woman who owns this flower farm has the same idea.  I wonder if, with the power I have to decide what I surround myself with in my apartment this next school year, I should be more conscious of the beautiful things.  Maybe being conscious about things of beauty will make my home more a place of peaceful thoughts and kind actions.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This is a lovely post, Rachel. I am frequently impressed at the power of simple beauty. I love how beautiful things do something to us, more than I think they could do by being beautiful alone. I like that they soothe and speak of higher truths. How ironic that physical things can speak spiritual volumes.